Which ideas describe a round character? Check all that apply.
1. The character experiences a variety of human emotions.
2. The character possesses a complex personality.
3. The character grows or develops over the course of a play.
What theme does this excerpt most reflect?
True friends don’t leave you.
If Shakespeare kills the character of Hamlet, what dramatic convention would he be using?
The message a text conveys about a topic is called the _______
Shakespeare most likely chose the word head instead of the word leader because it
Continues his comparison of government to a human body.
To analyze tone, the reader should study word choice, which is also called
Shakespeare’s word choice in the passage creates a tone that is
What effect does the stage direction have on the scene?
By leaving Hamlet alone on stage, the audience learns how truly upset he is.
What does this part of the soliloquy reveal about Hamlet?
He is distraught and unsure.
Claudius’s reaction advances the central conflict of the play because he
Encourages Laertes to seek revenge against Hamlet.
Hamlet’s character is complex in the excerpt because
His erratic behavior confuses his friend.
Which statements describe the rising action of a tragedy’s plot? Check all that apply.
1. A series of events develop the plot’s central conflict.
2. Suspense builds gradually as the plot progresses.
Which statement best describes Hamlet’s complexity in the excerpt?
Hamlet wants to kill Claudius, but he wants to be sure Claudius will suffer.
A word’s denotation is ___________
A dictionary definition of the word
What should audience members ask themselves when they evaluate how an actor interprets a character? Check all that apply.
1. Which words does the actor emphasize?
2. What gestures and movements does the actor make?
3. What emotions does the actor convey?